S. Guy Jones Achievement Award
1909 – S. Guy Jones was one of the nine original faculty members hired by President Jasper Newton Field upon the founding of the University of Redlands in 1909. He was the youngest faculty member at the time, described as a “red head” and a “splendid athlete”. A professor of chemistry and physics, Jones received his Bachelor of Science Degree in 1903 from Dennison University and Master of Science Degree from Ohio State University. He taught for 40 years at the University of Redlands, retiring in 1949. Professor Jones also coached football and baseball at the University of Redlands, and directed required outdoor student activities. Nearing the end of World War I in 1918, Professor Jones took a one-year leave of absence from the University to conduct Army YMCA work overseas.
In 1911, football had become the rage among college campuses across the country. Coaches were challenged to put together a complete team in many sports, especially football. While interim coach of the 1911 football team, Professor Jones is reported to have donned a uniform and taken part in some of the games when the team was shorthanded, able to get away with this due to his youthful appearance. The University of Redlands catalogue in 1926 mentions Jones being the Representative of Athletics on the President’s Cabinet. He was also a member of the faculty baseball team. For his achievements and service, the University of Redlands conferred upon Prof. Jones the honorary degree of Doctor of Science in 1959. Dr. Jones was described as a loving, patient man with a quiet sense of humor and his guidance inspired many students. While at the University, he saw the science facilities expand from modest beginnings in a borrowed church kitchen to the occupancy of two-well equipped buildings.
Upon the 75th Anniversary of founding of the University of Redlands in 1983, Dr. Jones was posthumously presented a Heritage Award, recognized as one who was significant in laying the foundation for the University of Redlands and turning that dream into reality. In 1984, S. Guy Jones was elected to the Bulldog Bench Hall of Fame, the first faculty member to be so honored.
Professor S. Guy Jones was a Charter Member of Kappa Sigma Sigma Fraternity. He served as patron to the active chapter for 35 years. When he retired in 1949, the active chapter established the S. Guy Jones Achievement Award in his honor. Annually, by secret ballot, the active brothers from among its members select the one who in his daily life on campus and in the fraternity circle has contributed most to the fraternity. The award, presented at the Rendezvous, is considered the highest honor bestowed on a brother of the active chapter.
PREVIOUS S. GUY JONES AWARD WINNERS:
Peik Van Wavern
Joe Van Elk
Charter Member S. Guy Jones